Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Charoset Bar

The past four years our Sisterhood has organized a Women's Seder.  We are lifted spiritually with learning, song and speakers as we approach the Passover holiday.  The evening also provides new ideas and recipes for us to incorporate into our own seders and the holiday week.  This year we were introduced to the very innovative Charoset bar-an assortment of ingredients to create our very own charoset.  It was a hit!  The charoset bar had suggestions of ingredients to mix that would resemble Italian charoset, Moroccan Charoset, and Egyptian Charoset just to name a few.  We created our own small samplings of charoset and compared our special mix with others.

I approached the Charoset bar excited to experiment, but hesitant to implement the idea. Every year I prepare the same menu, reluctant to steer away from tradition. I have two considerations when adding to the seder meal. First, I can't change my timing. Over the years, I perfected the dance that I  have with my small oven and a lot of guests. 
Second, food expectations and traditions. We all enjoy and associate a particular food with specific celebrations. I hesitate to change or eliminate a family /guest favorite.  Currently, I prepare the traditional Ashkenazic Charoset, one with nuts and one without.  Adding the Charoset bar allows everyone to make the traditional charoset or do some culinary experimenting.  Also, the timing of my seder should not be affected. So, I am trying itout this year. Who knows maybe the new traditional charoset will be created this Passover.

If you want to create your own charoset bar, here are some suggested ingredients (all are chopped or sliced):

Apples
Pears
Figs
Dates
Prunes
Raisins
Coconut
Walnuts
Pecans
Almonds
Pistachios
Apricot (dried)
Bananas
Lemons and oranges (for juicing)
Wine
Honey
Cinnamon
Ginger, ground
Matzah Meal

Happy Passover!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment